In addition to creating tutorial videos for WordPress 101, I also produce custom videos for clients like GoDaddy, Media Temple, WooThemes, Yoast, and others. Need a custom tutorial video for your WordPress product or service? Let’s talk about it!
Here’s an example of a recent custom video…
The process begins with a conversation about your goals for the video. Do you need a full-blown tutorial video, or a brief promo video for your homepage that just highlights the features of your plugin or product? Once we’re clear on the nature of the project and your goals, we’ll move on to the production process:
- Local Demo Environment — I always work from a local installation to ensure there are no delays while recording due to Internet speeds or server hiccups.
- Scriptwriting — The script is the most critical and time-consuming part of the project. I’ll create a detailed script based on the talking points you provide. You’ll have the opportunity to review the script and revise it as needed.
- Voiceover — Next, I’ll record, mix, and master a professional-quality voiceover in my studio.
- Screen Recording — Then, I’ll record screen actions to match the narration in both timing and content. Screen recordings are typically recorded in Chrome’s Presentation Mode at 1280×720 pixels (HD resolution).
- Intro/Outro — If needed, I can create a simple animated introduction with your logo and/or other required text.
- Music — If budget permits, we can create a custom piece of music to maximum the impact of your video. Otherwise, we’ll find and license a piece of appropriate music to help your video stand out.
- Editing and Export — With all the pieces in place, I’ll edit the final video and then furnish you a high-resolution video file in H.264 MP4 format, the standard for web video.
How much does it cost?
Screencast tutorial videos typically cost around $395 per finished minute, and there are a number of ways to reduce that cost (see below).
Custom promo or intro videos like the example shown above typically cost around $995 per finished minute of video, due to the added complexity.
Once we’ve had a conversation about your project, I can provide you with an accurate quote estimate for your video.
Time and Money Saving Tips
- Create at least a rough draft of the script for your video. This is by far the most time-consuming part of the process. The more detailed script you can provide, the less time we’ll spend going back and forth with revisions.
- Provide data for a fully-functional demo environment. For the best final result, I usually work from a local demo environment. But creating a completely functional sample site to showcase your product can be very time-consuming. If you can provide an XML export of a fully-functional demo site, that will save a tremendous amount of time and money.
- Find and license a piece of royalty-free music. If you don’t want or need a custom piece of music for your video, find and purchase/license a piece of music that you feel will be appropriate for the content and your brand. We’re happy to do this for you, but it takes time to find an appropriate piece of music. We recommend PremiumBeat.com
- Furnish a high-resolution version of your logo or an animated pre-roll. Again, we can create a custom intro/outro, but to save time, be sure to at least have a high-resolution version of your logo (vector or large PNG file with transparent background).
If you’re able to create a compelling video on your own, but just need a professional voiceover, I’m happy to help! Simple voiceovers for a 3-5 minute project like this one cost just $125 per finished minute:
Discounted rates for longer projects are also available. Let’s talk about your project!
Need a more professional touch to help distinguish your podcast from the rest? Let’s create a podcast intro for you like one of these:
Simple podcast intros like this cost just $350, and you’ll receive several variations from which to choose. If you’ve not already licensed a piece of music for use in your intro, I can suggest and license music for you at an additional cost. Let’s talk about your project!